To the members of the Ohio Student Nurses Association, thank you for the opportunity and privilege all of you gave me a year ago in the house of delegates by electing me as your president. I hope I have made you all proud.
To the board of directors, thank you for trusting me this year, I know we had an uncertain future and many people around us were telling us we wouldn’t be able to accomplish the things we wanted to. But together we. did. it.
To all the nurses and associations who mentored me in my role and spoke at our conference you are our trailblazers bringing us into the profession and for that I am eternally grateful.
While I’m retiring from my student leadership life, and my term is up as president of this association, I am so excited to move on to the nursing world and associations. And I expect to see all of you on the other side serving with me in our districts and at ONA.
President Raya Cupler (2017-2018) signing off and presenting to you the first ever OhSNA media campaign!!!
OhSNA Returns from a Successful NSNA Annual Convention! #OHtakesTN
The Ohio Student Nurses Association Board of Directors and membership have returned back to Ohio after active and successful participation at the National Student Nurses Association 66th Annual Convention, in Nashville Tennessee.
Ohio membership represented their state in the house of delegates and presented four resolutions, all of which were adopted by the 2018 NSNA House of Delegates:
- “In Support of Opt-out Organ Donation Program Awareness” submitted by Case Western Reserves University
- “In Support of Advocation for Cluster Care to Promote Adequate Rest Periods in Hospitalized Patients” submitted buy the Ohio Student Nurses Association
- “Increasing Awareness of Administration and Faculty Support of Student Leadership Activities as Co-Curricular” submitted by Mount Carmel College of Nursing, Columbus Campus
- “Promoting Nursing Education about Communication with Patients and Families after Distressing Events” submitted by Chamberlain University, Columbus Campus
Ohio had a very successful state caucus during which the Board of Directors updated the Ohio members present on the work they have been doing, along with opportunities events coming up for members.
There were two candidates from Ohio running for National Office:
- Wesley Osler, the immediate past NEC director of OhSNA and immediate past NSNA director north was elected as the new president of the National Student Nurses Association
- Christine Smothers, the current Health Policy and Advocacy Director of OhSNA was elected as director north of NSNA.
Ohio won three national awards during the closing ceremony:
- The Empowering Resolutions Award for our Narcan training initiative
- The Facebook Award
- The Core Values Award which is an individual award was awarded to OhSNA President Raya Cupler.
We are very proud of all of the work and leadership Ohio students demonstrated at the NSNA 66th Annual Convention, we are greatly looking forward to seeing you all at OhSNA events and the State Annual Convention this fall!